feature

The History of Jeogla Station

Jeogla is an Aboriginal word meaning "Warm Crossing".

The Roche Group purchased Jeogla Station in 1998 from the Wright Family who had owned it since 1902. The property was originally 5668 ha which has now expanded to 8200 ha or 20254 acres and joins Wallamumbi Station on the eastern side.

Jeogla comprises of mostly trap rock soil, barring a few basalt caps, and is heavily timbered in areas. It has an average of 925 mm rainfall.

In 1984 Jeogla launched the first on site physical cattle sale coupled with simultaneous video presentation in four states. Up to 90% of bidding strength came from outside centres.

On March 16, 1988 a further innovation provided spirited competition on a national basis with the addition of the Computer Aided Livestock Marketing (CALM). A total of 1,778 Hereford Beefmaker steers went under the hammer in a sale described by some sectors of the media as “superb”.

The historic V1V brand is still in use today.

The History of Wallamumbi Station

Wallamumbi is an Aboriginal word meaning "Big Waterfall".

The Roche group already owned Jeogla Station which was proving to be a profitable enterprise so they looked to acquire Wallamumbi Station, and did so on 23rd March, 2001. The property was 12,705 acres. They purchased the property from the Wright family who had owned it since 1899. Wallamumbi’s original size was 115,000 acres with a carrying capacity of 2,500 cattle. By 1920 the property was reduced to 12,000 acres and with this reduction a serious effort was made to increase the amount of useable land by clearing timber.

The majority of Wallamumbi is granite soil country, with a 800 mm rainfall.

Superphosphate has been used since 1951 to further improve the carrying capacity.

The Roche Group has a great respect for the history of Jeogla and Wallamumbi and continues to maintain the old buildings and the properties’ history whilst running a financially viable property. The V2V brand is in use today. It is one of the oldest brands in Australia.